Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Unspeakable

The unspeakable things that people do
the things we do to each other. 
that shock and steal
ruin and destroy.
There is a long list of such things.

For some of us who walk through life
The Unspeakable 
are  the burdens that shape and cage us

 callous and thoughtless words spoken 
although they harm and bruise the soul 
are not quite like those things we never really speak about. 

the acts a child might endure as he is used  and abused
again and again.
They are called survivors and that is what they are.
But merely surviving is not really living you see.

Today as I listened to the radio
I heard The Unspeakable things spoken of.
I listened, scarcely believing.
my ears must be deceiving me.
And yet, the unspeakable was being revealed.

The woman who shared her story 
of childhood sexual abuse 
was to my mind one of the bravest souls I have yet to hear.
She dared to speak 
of that which we all know of but are to Afraid to say out loud

Yes I was abused as a child
I was raped
I was the girl who endured 
I was that boy who had his inocence snatched away by another more powerful than I
I was.......

I salute you!
The brave who speak about such things
the voice of the voiceless
that reach out so that others might find peace and healing.
The brave that survived.

To those I know personally I salute you more than most.
You who endured the experiences that most would not.
I salute you!

the deeply courageous  who  continue to live
 with The Unspeakable 
as their constant companion




No comments:

Post a Comment