Friday, November 23, 2012

Punishing with boredom is torture

I love this badge.
I speaks of a real understanding of the ADHD child. 

another one could read

Please dont punish me with boredom
It is pure torture sending an ADHD child to an hour of detention where the child has to do nothing or write  the same sentence 20 x.
Please hear me. I am not saying DON'T punish the ADHD child but it would show enormous insight and kindness on the part of the teaching profession, if they were to design the punishment to fit the child. Keeping the ADHD child busy is a key  even in the punishment.

My son  had forgotten to get some tests signed for school and he was one stroke away from one of these detentions. He came sobbing to me, not because he was about to be punished, but because he knew that the punishment was going to be torture for him. Being bored is torture for the ADHD child. 
Boredom encourages distraction which is another one of those ADHD buzz words. 

The bottom line is that ADHD children function totally differently to other children. With all the research done on the brain and specifically on ADHD, there is a wealth of hot tips for parents, children and teachers which can transform the learning experience for the child and the classmates.

We have had a brilliant teacher this year who has been kind and personal with our son. She is not rigid. She has been a real gem for us as a family and we thank God for her but I know of parents who have not had this experience and so their child has really wilted and not flourished. Please that all teachers be re educated ( and I speak to myself here) on the up to date ways one can help a child with and ADHD brain to experience not only success but also grow in confidence and a healthy self perception

check out .........

.http://douglascootey.com/2007/06/adhd-six-ways-to-stop-boredom.html

a very helpful read 

My personal hope and prayer is that teachers in South African Schools continue to be informed and shaped in their knowledge and understanding of ADHD so that they can continue to impact ALL children's lives for their good.



No comments:

Post a Comment