Tuesday, January 22, 2013

There is a Teenager in the House.

  1. http://howareyouhealthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Adolescence.jpg
We have a teenager in the house. 

These words scared me in the past but now, as we stand on the edge of these years with our first son, I feel quite excited about  the journey. 
One of the reasons for this is information. There is a wealth of information about teenagers and as I have started to read a selected, recommended few books, I have found myself really beginning to embrace this special time. 

I am sure this will not be the last time I write about 'The Teen Years" and I am under no illusion that a "recipe" approach to them will ensure that all goes smoothly. But having said that I think one of the key things that struck me so far is about my approach or my attitude toward what may or may not lie ahead. Our society has a very negative attitude towards teens and towards adolescence in general and it is true to say I have already heard things like " Just wait until those teenage years" and other such comments.   Paul David Tripp in his book 'Age of Opportunity" spends a great deal of time trying to shift this negative approach as is indicated by the very title of this good book.

Here is an extract... " There are 3 fundamental doors 0f opportunity that every teenage parent can walk through. Each of these problems becomes a means of helping the teenager to internalize the truths which he has been exposed to for years. The problems of teenage insecurity, teenage rebellion and the teenagers widening wield are actually God's doors of opportunity where parents have a unique access to the central issues in their teens life"  Page 23.

The second exciting thing that we have decided upon as a family, is to read a book about becoming a teen with our son. This was a great suggestion from one who has gone ahead of us. We have been reading James Dobsons excellent book called " Preparing for Adolescence". It is practical, honest and very insightful. In a way it is preparing me and our son , together as we read and chat through some of the key ideas

I am forever grateful for being a Christian Parent. Not only do we have real hope to offer in the gospel but we have a very real and loving God who is at work in us and in our children. We operator in the framework of a much bigger than ourselves, picture . Armed with wisdom and real, Godly council we can embrace the time called Adolescence and enjoy the growing adult' child. 
Thanks be to God!!

.


No comments:

Post a Comment