Friday, December 13, 2013

My comment and reflections - The Passing of a giant - Mandela

 Mandela is gone. He has left this world to pass on to another. He has left behind his very clear and thoughtful footprint on South Africa, Africa and indeed the world.  He lived life conscious and with purpose. He was not perfect for he was just a man but he accomplished much for many. A life lived in service of his ideals and therefore in service of a nation.  
He has left a hole in the hearts of many.
As a nation we said our goodbyes and farewells. We had countless opportunities to grieve and share in a varieties of ways. People chose what they could and waited suited them. For us, as a family we chose to watch the memorial on TV and to lay some flowers at The Cape Town City Hall. Both of these were a moment for me personally to reflect back on the country we were.
 The radio has always been my friend and I have listened to many, many discussions and debates ; first hand accounts and stories from friends, comrades and family and from fellow South Africans, pilgrims through this land- South Africa. This is my country. it is a country that I love with deep passion despite the pain of the past and the tragedy of those days that have scared us all as South Africans. Apartheid broke, divided, ripped at peoples lives ; it ruled and governed our lives and has left its own footprint on the lives of those who grew up under it and who lived with it. We are a broken  nation and in need of collective therapy. This idea is not one narrowly held just for us. many countries around the world need collective therapy to heal the pain of the past.
 In one way, I feel that talk radio is part of that therapy. People have the opportunity to say what needs to be said. The passing of Madiba is another such opportunity. We as a nation, publicly get to share our guilt, pain, sorrow  and our own experiences of the 1970's ; 1980's and up to the present.
 In the context of us all having a say about what we think - which is a freedom I choose to uphold - freedom of speech. I choose to share a sadness I have observed especially on social media. While there are things about our current president that I do not agree with or even like. He , in my opinion is not doing the servant leader work of a person given his position and in fact encouraged to by the example of Madiba. However, I felt that 'booing' him at the memorial service was out of line:)
 Similarly, the rude and disrespectful comments  people have shared on social media around him as a person and indeed the memorial prompted me to write this post. The memorial service was long and there were many speeches. It was not exceptional nor was it spectacular. But, to be honest, I did not expect it to be. As I reflect on the day, I think it was very much in line with the funerals and meetings of the ANC days gone by. Doug was involved in his 20,s with the forming of an ANC branch and was on the JHB sub-region. We experienced a great deal ANC meetings and discussions. The funeral was no surprise, in fact I enjoyed listening the the speeches and seeing those who had arrived from other countries.

 I enjoyed seeing who was invited to speak and I loved hearing the old freedom songs once again. The crown had a ball.
Finally I write about Madiba lying in state and The Union Buildings. I was deeply moved by the snaking ques of people who travelled from great distances away to come and bid farewell. It was right and fitting. I want to salute our government and the local governments who have created space for we the people of South Africa to mourn and share in Madiba's passing. It has been cathartic, reflective and opportunities for teaching the next generation about the past. Nelson Mandela was a giant. He has touched us. May we continue to strive towards thoughtful unity and real peace as we live in the beautiful land. South Africa. Hamba Kahle Madiab.

No comments:

Post a Comment