Tuesday, March 25, 2014

In praise of every mom behind an ADHD son ( or daughter)

A friend of mine lent me a book called, "Raising Boys with ADHD." by James Forgan and Mary Richey

It begins with these words....

We know that behind every successful boy with ADHD , is a tired mom. I had to laugh out loud because this is indeed true.

Emotionally tired, physically tired, tired of worrying and thinking of new ways to help, support and guide their busy, talkative, distracted, emotional son. and yet ever hopeful and never, ever giving up!!

Yesterday I met up with a bunch of women for coffee. We shared something of our present struggles around parenting sons who are ADHD. As I reflected upon their individual stories I again came to realise that I simply admire these women. Women who in the midst of real struggles , press on and never give up with and for their son. 

This short blog post is written to salute these women and many more like them. I want to encourage you to keep on going. Thanks for you encouragement and example. Thanks for ideas and for listening.

I used to have a support group for ADHD mothers and these fine ladies have encouraged me to start it up again. A safe space to challenge, listen and encourage one another as we parent our ADHD sons.


No comments:

Post a Comment