Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Wiliam in Wallace

http://i2.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article1782041.ece/alternates/s2197/Mel%20Gibson%20as%20William%20Wallace%20in%20the%20film%20Braveheart.jpg

Each week I spend time with William Wallace. A little 9 year old boy who lives in CT, South Africa. I spend time working with him on a literacy programme. William Wallace is, like his names sake, one of the most courageous boys I know. You see, he really does not read well at all. He struggles to recognise simple sight words and although he can sound the individual letters, he struggles to blend them into words. He lives in a very deprived part of Cape Town. Statistics shared on this are put the drop out rate of children after grade 7 at 80%. William is clinging on by his finger nails. I have a son who is exactly Williams age and in the same grade. I spend afternoons doing the oa sound or the ue sound. I know what William should know.But he does not and he can not. 

Each week I drive to his school and pray. I pray all the way there , which is actually not that far. I pray for this and that. I pray for William. My prayer is something like this...

Dear Lord
I bring William to you. I bring him to your throne of grace. I pray that you will intervene in his life. I pray that you will enable him to get the help he needs so that he can learn to read . Lord please have mercy on this boy. 

Today I began to teach him.... show him.... speak to him about who he was made to be. When he disobeyed I said" William my darling you were made for more than disobedience"

I pray that his life will be impacted by Jesus and that one day he will be counted as one who took part in society in a healthy way rather than the unhealthy way offered to him.

Lord we need you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment