Thursday, March 12, 2015

LADD - The ADHD adventure


ADHD and adventure seem like strange ideas to hold together. 

These two ideas are indeed friends.

I am a mother of two ADHD children and two who are not. 4 Boys.... 4 sons...
My husband is ADHD.

I live the ADHD adventure!!!

More than that, my kids live that ADVENTURE every day of their little lives.

This past week I chatted to a mother of a son who is beginning the journey with ADHD. She met with her child's teacher to discuss some of the issues.

"I do not believe in ADHD" - was what she was met with.

In the very same week I completed Module 1 of.....Living Adventure - ADHD training....




I wished with all my heart that this teacher could gain the insight and help that this model offers.  

The module begins at the very beginning.

What is ADHD? 

David Pughe-Parry leads the listener through a very helpful list of what it is not according to the common myths. I found this helpful and reassuring. Those of us who have ADHD children or spouses have ALL had to deal with the sceptic... the ignorant and the myth believer. 

The thing that stood out for me the most was the deeply comforting reminder that ADHD is complex and it is difficult being ADHD and parenting a child who is ADHD. 

Just this week I met a mom who is new to all things ADHD. Each time I speak to her she just cries. I was reminded that it is tough. All children are unique BUT ADHD children are what I like to call... uniquer than unique!!

Thanks to the recording of the ADHD brain experience, I really learnt something more. This little recording opened up a really great discussion with our 9 year old ADHD son. I asked him if he experienced distraction like this. He laughed out loud. He told me that he hears his teachers voice in words and reads them in his brain. Sometimes he has to re read them. WOW!!!

This evening we chatted about this around the table. My husband affirmed his " word reading brain" and so did our 13 year old. All three of these darling ADHD people hear people in words and read those words. My golly!!!

How can I parent differently if my son is distracted in this way and only hears some of what I say. I need to be patient with him and full of grace. I need to make sure he has heard me. I have to change my expectations of him and not hold his behaviour up to the same measure as that of a non- ADHD child. He is necessarily being disobedient.

It was a real reminder that the ADHD brain experiences imput in another way. Distraction is real. Grace must match this reality.

The picture slide of what ADHD is was extremely helpful too. I have heard this explained before but the diagram helped make it mine. Thank you. 

Helpful stuff from this model.
The Adventure continues.


Thank you LADD









No comments:

Post a Comment