Monday, April 12, 2010

The Books we love to read

I thought I would write something about our favorite books. I love reading and love children s books. When I was studying to be a teacher, one of the best parts of the course was all the interesting things we discovered about Childrens books and authors. So I came to parenting with my own personal favorites. Shirley Hughes and her dear characters and life like , beautiful drawings. Judith Kerr and the lovable ' Mog" the cat. Pat Hutchins and Titch or ' Don't forget the bacon" and of course the one sentences book of hers called 'Rosies walk'.

One of the best things about living in The Uk was the smorgasbord of books available. I thought I had landed in children book heaven. Needless to say, our kids have been surrounded by books since they were very very tiny and I mean very tiny. Poor things. They probably could not even focus and a book was placed in front of them. I was an eager mom!!!

Well, enough of that. I am thrilled to say that my children and friends have introduced me to many , many more fantastic books.I thought I would write down some of our most loved books and use it as a growing list for my memory and if you should stumble upon this blog, your interest.

1. Who has flown in on her broom into our busy day but none other than a witch on a broom in Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler's " Room on the Broom. A fab book and a real fun read with my Jethro and Samuel.

2.This book is one that makes me feel right at home. Full of a gathering of family fun and many creatures including a couple of horses. "First there was Frances" by Bob Graham . A must for every child

3. Max Lucado and his " A Hat for Ivan" is a great read for children who can concentrate for a little longer. It is a great story line and a very sweet message about being who God has made us to be.

3 comments:

  1. agreed! love those books! and you introduced us to Mick Inkpen - beautiful sweet stories for the very little! Thx for that :) My all time favourite Safrican kids' author however is Nicky Daly - his books are beautifully illustrated and so vibrant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaah, books. I love them! I am just getting a libary card for Leah, so I'll look for those titles when I go change our current batch. Thanks for the recommendations!
    Lots of love,
    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. An absolute pleasure R. I will put some more on at some point and I would love you to share your fav ones too. I also love Nicky Daly but had forgotten about them. Have you read " Not so fast Songololo?".

    ReplyDelete