Monday, April 12, 2010

A walk down memory Lane

On Friday night Dougie bought me a small gift. he knows how much I love music and he knows some of the old favourites I would like to choose to listen too. Bands like Simple Minds ; U2 ; The Pretenders and my very best Van the Man. But he did not arrive with any of these in hand. Rather he bought me "The Best of Niel Diamond" or something like that. I am not to sure of the title but the point is made.

Sadly, I was thrilled. Now I am really showing my age and my odd taste in music. Why do I like to listen to this strange mans music. Well, I happen to think he is a good singer and he has a very good voice. It is one of those smooth voices that has its very own recognizable sound to it. But none of these good reasons are why Doug bought me Niel Diamond to listen to. It has to do with memories. You see, when I was growing up, my dad used to play Niel Diamond a lot. he So the sound of the smooth operator and his Hot August Nights transports me right back into that place where every adult is taken back to at some point. Childhood. The thing is I absolutely adore my dad and so his love for Niel and ; Barbabra Streisand and Dianna Ross all fall onto me and I too love them. The memories of him laughing and singing and his smell all come back when I hear The sound of Barbara hitting that high note or Dianna asking " Do you know where you are going to?". Memories flooded with fun and smiles and deep sadness too. I often listen to these songs I love . I listen to them on high volume. I dance some; smile some; sing a lot and cry too. Then I pack them up and put them back on the CD wrack until the time comes again for nostalgia. Thanks my Dougie!! You know me so well.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Caren. My dad played Neil Diamond in the car (on tape!) when we went on vacation, which was often, so 'Sweet Caroline' and 'He ain't heavy, he's my brother' will always hit a weird spot for me. (Not so much happy memories for me, though.)
    Music is very evocative, hey? I still laugh about the fact that Jordan doesn't actually like the song that we had our first wedding dance to - he obviously did not make that clear to me. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray another Neil Diamond person. Not many around Me thinks. Funny about your wedding dance. Now I wonder just what that song was R????? Lol.

    ReplyDelete