Monday, June 23, 2014

How to help an ADHD kid as seen through the eyes of an ADHD kid:)




http://www.adhd-app.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ADHD-Love-Tribute.jpg


Last night while sitting chatting to my husband and our second son, Thomas, we began to have one of those fabulous conversations. You know the kind of conversation I mean. Those that are both fun and profound.

Both Thomas and Doug are ADHD and so this conversation was both full and brief. For those of you who are ADHD or who love those who are, will totally understand what I mean by this. Brief and full!!

Thomas began by saying he though that someone should make an ADHD school. I began to write down the few ideas that he thought would make a school great for ADHD kids.

Here they are.....

1. Posters on the wall that change every day. This would keep the classroom interesting all the time.
2. rooms that changed regularly. Not in the way that made people confused but that just made life at school more interesting. :)
3. during the lesson --- cut to the chase---- get to the point.

at this point Doug joined in and there was a lot of yes and oh   that would be great and that is so awful when the teacher .....

I just loved this. A sharing of the ADHD journey with dad and kid amongst the laughter and fun and will, some very valid points in my opinion.

the list goes on....

4. The teacher should never, ever repeat himself or herself - ever - ever....
5.ha.. a buzzer on the desk that indicated when the child has 'got'  point so the teacher could swiftly move on...
6. speed things up a bit... not so much so that too much homework is given:)

At this point Doug shared his love for watching you tube DVD because I can speed it up and listen to it double time.


Then we were done!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I could picture the scene. Please tell Thomas I think his school idea sounds great. Debbie Duthie

    ReplyDelete