Monday, June 23, 2014

Surprised by prayer and fasting


  1. http://lisahusmann.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/prayer_and_fasting_icon_07.png?w=570&h=177


I have been a Christian since I was in my 20's. It has been a journey so full of the unexpercted and so marvelouslly full, more than I could ever, ever have dreamed or imagined.  

One of the aspects or experiences of the Christian life that I had not entered into was that of fasting and praying. Praying yes. but fasting.... well it was not really ever something I had engaged with, both interlectually and physically.

Many religions fast. In fact it is about to be the Muslim time of Ramadan and this week I had a chat to a nominal Muslim who was sharing her experience of fasting with us. For her, it was not linked at all to anything spiritual but rather to health and well being.

That is not why I decided to fast.


Towards the end of 2013, I began to feel that God was laying on my heart to fast. Doug and I have some very big things we were really praying for and trusting Jesus to help us with.  I chatted to two different  people, one who fasted a great deal in life and the other who did not. I was gradually persuaded in my head that fasting and praying was something to enter into.

 As 2014 dawned, I began a Beth Moore Bible study with a fab group of woman. The Daniel study began with a fast. Once again that pull from God to step up.


At the same time, a group of friends were and still are going through some big trials. And so, we decided to fast and pray and cling to Jesus for these very big things we were all going through, together. We joined and fasted through weeks that lay ahead together, bearing each other up in prayer to Jesus.

We have a social meadia group chat box and we encourage one another via this media.

It has been a wonderful experience. The denying of food, for a time, joined deeply with praying to our great God who is our everything, joined with my sisters in Christ. well, this has been one of the many glorious times of my Christian walk.

Has God answered our prayers more or especially or in a new way. Yes and no. I know that my fasting actually adds nothing or subtracts nothing from my standing before God.  But it has changed me. It has caused me to pray more, love more and watch and wait all the more. God has moved in and amongst our little group of faithful women. He is busy causing us to trust him more and always and lifting our eyes off of our circumstances and back onto Jesus. I really have experienced a spiritual revival in a sense. This fasting and praying has centred Jesus in his rightful place, in my thinking, heart , attitudes, desires and hopes, trusting that God is busy at work in and through his people.

 Therefore, I have become a convert to prayer and fasting. it has become, a normal and natural part of my life. Thank you Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. I don't always find time to read blogs or comment but your subject header drew me. Especially as it wasn't something encouraged in the church I grew up in South Africa. In Israel I first fasted and the most powerful time was for my husband when he decided to quit smoking after decades of addiction. I knew I must fast for him. It was because it was a war between powers and principal ties. I believe fasting is an important part of our walk and was very encouraged by your post. Blessings Kelly.

    ReplyDelete