Wednesday, October 22, 2014

in the togetherness of games( and other fun activites)


Our boys love to play screen games. I have made peace with this wonder . However, keeping the balance in life is always the tricky bit. This post is about a wonderful observation.

Sometimes I might suggest that the boys find a board game to play. We have a whole cupboard full of different games. Some are play alone kinds and others are group games. I might even suggest some. 9x out of 10 the simple answer is no.

There are two appraoches I have found that work in getting the boys involved in WHATEVER idea comes up. 

1. If I choose some games and simply put them on the breakfast table, the boys will play them:)

2. If I get the puzzle out and sit with them to get it going, they play!! In other words, if I or Doug get  involved and play or make or do then we ALL get invovled and have some fun.

I find that my own attitides and experience shifts when I get involved. We have some great family - together time and we have some great conversations. Those who are more introvert can have their alone time with their own game or puzzle while still being next to us. 

Gavin Keller, a great South African Principal from one of our loval Cape Town schools, gives some very encouraging talks. One of them is on the teens brain. I remember how he explains that the teens has a bull dozer digging up all the nerons in the brain and one of the good things to "make them do" is to do things together. Good healthy hormones are released when this happens that make the teen feel loved . 

These fun together times are one of these.

During the holidays I began to make a paper mache bowl along side our youngest son. He was making an elephant!!
While we tore paper and stuck shapes, the others slowly began to join in. The older two began to create something that has since died a death, BUT it was not the end result that I had in mind, but rather the time spent together, just tearing and sticking and chatting of course.

So, we have togetherness in the chaos of life piecing puzzles together that were previously " boring" and now are quite fun actually :)


No comments:

Post a Comment