Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Modern Monderns.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02171/camera2_2171374b.jpg

 Today I enjoyed a visit to a few art galleries , in Cape Town, with some dear friends who happen to do art with me.

We began in my kitchen, a comfortable and safe place of much art and the normal chaos of a suburban life with four growing boys.
We journeyed out into Cape Town from suburbia. 
I experienced again that feeling of leaving the known and exploring the unknown that I often feel whenever we do anything new or different.
Sometimes I can feel this way when I meet a fellow human being so other than myself. Today it was the otherness of art.

We began at The Goodman Gallery in Cape Town and worked our way down into Salt River.

The Gallery itself finds its home in an older building and swishes us in with glass and good grace. I liked the feel of the gallery. It is open and has space for one to walk around and think. And think one  must with this exhibition.

[Working Title] is on until the 25th October and is an exhibition of a collection of artists. This is an annual exhibition held at The Goodman Gallery, who in so doing is supporting young and independent artists.

I can not make sense of the art here , for you, except to share some of the thoughts and feelings these art pieces evoke. I decided that instead of trying to decide if I like or dislike something I would simply listen to my feeling and ideas that flowed from the art works as I enjoyed it. 

So, for the first one where the artists projects his art onto a collection of familiar city objects all painted in white, I found impatience was my friend. This made me chuckle.... A real sighn of the times. I too can not wait for anything to begin or come along. This one realy reflected myself back to me. :)

Another that I began to read and was so full of words and pain was beautiful and yet I left its friend that played a DVD along side it. I was once again too impatient until my friend told me the sad story of that artisit . 

Art sure is sad sometimes.

And so we wnet on... what could this one mean? what is this person trying to say? what does this remind me of. 

Like a giant puzzle the morning unfolded.


http://mapmyway.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ZanderBlom-Stevenson-248x300.jpg

These interesting works by Zander Blom  at another gallery, were what we ended up with. His strange juxtoposion of shapes and colour with thick oil on linen creating oil smuges or greesey pools, were talking points at most. The interesting thing for me was the lack of contol he had over the oil running and so it is as if the art work "paints" itself. Makes me think of Pollock and the universe speeking idea. 

I personally did not like these works at all. Not because they were odd but because they held a disunity for me. The shapes he used di not flow together. Being a lover of shape and form I just did not like the jarring result of colour and shape that he used on his artwork. they made me feel as if he had not yet quite finished what he started. 

We left and headed for coffee at The Kitchen on Sir Lowery Road.  A must for delicious salads and sandwiches and good coffee. 

Heading home to suburbia, we reflected . Us 40 somethings had a blast but were quitely content to enter the real world of  organised chaos  and family disorder once again.
Having spread our art wings for the day, we had fun together and built good friendhships wile trying to understand the strange world that art sometimes is.

No comments:

Post a Comment