Thursday, October 11, 2012

The kid who has it all... at home.




Today I noticed a strange phenomenon which once I started thinking about it, made sense.  
Technology is our friend in general. As are all the fun games and activities that children can have to enjoy at home. 
The problem is, that if your home has all that opens and shuts, especially in the area of technology... every new thing.... i pad, iPod, play station next, Wii and and and, well then another persons home can be , should I say it, quite boring if they dont have all the latest stuff.
 I have been experiencing this with some play dates especially during the week when we are fairly strict about no computer game time.
 Where there is a problem I will try and find a solution. So we played other kinds of games ... card games and board games..... we baked and painted and looked for bugs and birds. we played in the sand. 
I was forced to put my thinking cap on and gather up all those fun things we have not really done for a while. This was unexpected and I really did not feel up to the task but with a bit of thought some simple things came to mind. 
 I still wonder if having every new computer gismo in the home is really helpful or healthy after all. Perhaps it means well have to continue to be imaginative and creative so that visitors have fun or perhaps the visitor will just have to be plain old bored. Dont get me wrong, I have one little man who has 'bored' as his middle name so I am well familiar with this concept. I guess I just want other peoples children to have fun with us so that they come back. Older kids are easier to entice because they are usually hungry and so good , simple food will do the trick and make them happy but for the more younger child  who has not quite grasped the idea of' thinking through what to do together ' , it can be a problem. Perhaps it will just have to be 'I am bored' for those who dont like anything we have to offer.

Oh dear. I guess every problem can not be solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment