Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Falconer's camping Adventure

As I sit writing this, Il Divo is playing gently and I am enjoying a glass of wine. Kids are having some super while I write this. I was just reflecting on this weekends camping trip.

The Stuff

T
his is the first thing I write about because if you know anything about camping , you will know how important - The Stuff - is. We have a few tents and some other things that help make the camping experience work. I admit that if it did not work , I think I would not really want to go. I tend towards the home body kind of person. So this camping trip I have made a small list of things we could add to the stuff list. Things like....
1. a toaster and kettle ( welcome to camping in the 21st century)
2. a couple of ground sheets
3. a good gazebo
4. a good light

This list is fluid and continues....

We went camping with two families who have all the stuff. This is helpful when the heavens open up and declare the Lord of all sovereign.

The place

We went to a camp site called Skurwekop on the Breede River. it was astoundingly beautiful. The semi Karoo or nearly semi karoo shows the absolute care and creativity of our creator. I love the , bright blue sky as it contrasts against the rocky, rocky mountains. Thank you Lord!!


The Children

James , Thomas , Samuel and Jethro were so excited. They could not contain their excitement which is a delightful thing to share with a child. As we packed all The Stuff, I had to remind myself of this. Finally , finally we were on our way. Thomas had his legs folded double as we all squashed in with The Stuff. The De Toits Kloof Tunnel was on the list of highlights on the journey. we made good time and were soon at the camp site.

The Fun

These boys had fun being free. Free to roam and to ride bikes. Free to chat and read. Free to play cricket and to eat. It was grand! The best fun was on the river with the canoes and dingies. Doug came back twice looking like a drowned rat. Sam had his first and hopefully last near death experience as the canoe he was on capsized and he was strapped in.

The Food

All there is too say here is fire and food of all sorts!!!


The sleeping

James, Tom, Sam and Jet slept in a huge tent lent to us by our hosts. It was a fun tent and they were so good at settling in and geeing the job done. Doug and I snuggled in a 3 man tent until the snoring got to much and then Doug spent the rest of the nights in a bakkie!!!

Some Time

Thank you Sandy and Dave for inviting us and sharing this time with us. We had a great time. Thank you for looking after the boys so Doug and I could drive, drive ,drive. You guys rock!!! God bless you both!!





No comments:

Post a Comment