Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bored! Try a board game.

This morning , not long after my eyes adjusted to the dark, I decided to get up and have some "me" time. The mornings are my favourite because I am firstly a morning person and secondly I can have some time to think and pray and get ready for the new day. But this was not to be. Shortly after I put the kettle on for tea - my second favourite morning thing, a bed haired , dressing gowned boy slipped into the kitchen. His first request was " can you play a game with me".

So the game is on. He has chosen his his personal best - UNO. we have all loved UNO. it is a great family game and each child can play at his own stage and age development , some needing help from mom or dad.It is easy to transport and so goes on long trips and school trips and on evenings out, just in case.

We have a whole cupboard of board games and card games and all sorts of games. Because I have a pre-school background, I love games. I am also a very picky game buyer. Some games are gimmicky while others hold a who host of fantastic learning opportunities while being designate for max fun. We have mostly competition kind of games but we do own a non- competitive board game by HABA. it is a wonderful game and we always have fun, working together to save the fish. :)

Board games teach children lots of good things. We have always helped the little ones and not been harsh with them , not like their siblings are because after all fair is fair. I have found that if you gentle work with a child towards being able to loose well, it generally works. If you foster in them a killer instinct to always win and have to win , then board games would be a nightmare. The interesting thing is, the boys have all grown into loosing and being able to loose without tears. it has been and is hard at times but it has not detered them from trying again. The family game time have always been my best thing because I am not really a cricket or soccer chick and it is a  great way to do something with my boys that they enjoy. I do however draw the line at Monopoly which is my personal worst game. Doug does not mind it so team work here helps us :).

What's in a square is a wonderful, educational game. I was introduced to it while teaching and then someone gave me their old one. It was as if they had given me gold. I was thrilled. Thank you Lord! What's in a square is for sale again in good educational toy shops. it is pricey but well worth it.

Some of the games we have are purposefully educational others are about using money or about shopping with lists of food to get and pay for.We own quite a few of these one player logic developing games. They are superb and very challenging.  Bananagram is a wonderful word game that children can play at their own level. We have spent ours playing Rummikub with a 5 year old and an 80 year old. Amazing fun.



The big boys best game so far is and has been RISK. A dynamic strategy game that many of the kids at school also love so play dates are not focused on the computer.  We have dragged it all the way to Natal and back which indicates how much fun it is.

We have also loved Mastermind and good old ordinary card games. I remember playing poker for matches with my gran when I was growing up but things have moved on and sweets have been the order of the day.

Games are very expensive. we always give the family one as a christmas gift. If you are a keen second hand shop frequenter , you will find some gems there. I bought an old , original Cludo for R25 once.

Perhaps games are not every ones cup of tea but they are certainly worth a try. You might just find a family favourite and have piles of fun and some tears too. But I guess that is all part of learning and can be a worthwhile experience  too.


2 comments:

  1. lol - I share your distaste for monopoly. I really really hate it! Have no idea why, because it's a great game for teaching economics and how a capitalist society works! :) But, wow, I get so bored within seconds and for the rest of the game I felt like I did when I was little and had to tidy my room - the task ahead looks and feels insurmountable and struck panic! urgh! But, monopoly aside, board games rock! We love them too. :) I'm looking forward to when the kids are bigger and can all take part in Balderdash and other fun reading/writing games like that! :) Thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :). Here's to "the dodging Monopoly Club!"

      Delete