Thursday, June 7, 2012

How can we love you when your pain is in the way?


For Sammy

I remember the day I came to visit you
For the very first time
I came
Into the room, I came
Free and accepted.
You lay on the bed
So small and all curled up
So in need of care and protection
Your mom sat along side you
So pleased
So proud
Another little girl had been born
Not just any girl
Not just any
You see, it was Sammy
Our Sammy.
So beautiful and whole
So perfectly formed
I looked through my pain
Of loss and sadness of what might have been
Through it all
And I saw you
As we watched you grow and bloom
You seemed adorned with a real sense of purpose
Of  being.
How can the head express what the heart feels?
With you came that something special
To know you is to love you
To spend time with you is to laugh out loud
Yes and to cry too
I see you
I see you
Now you seem to be a shadow of yourself
Loneliness has smothered you
Snuffed out your life
Pain cries out
So loud, yet none can hear
It crushes and curls inside like a viper waiting to strike
It rules and thrashes again and again
The cuts are deep and you feel no more
I know what it is
I see the pain and hear it scream

So here we are
Playing the waiting game
What are we waiting for?
While we wait know this one thing
I am here waiting with you
My prayers cover you like a warm cloak
Jesus is waiting too
Remember those things I painted
And told you
He is not waiting for you to clean up your act
Get it right
Be healed
Oh no child, sister
He is waiting for you to
Just as you are
And then he will
Pick you up off the floor
Wash you pure as snow
And slowly and very gentle
Because that is just how he is,
Piece you back together
For he knows how you fit
He made you after all

Sammy, my precious Sammy
Know you were once so loved
And still are
All the more

No comments:

Post a Comment